Chippewa Church of the Brethren Celebration and Reunion Sunday, October 13, 2019
The Chippewa Church of the Brethren, 10230 Honeytown Road, Creston Ohio will celebrate 200 years of Brethren presence in the community on Sunday, October 13, 2019. Worship will be at 10:30 A.M. with Bill Eley preaching. A carry in (potluck) luncheon will be held in the fellowship hall at 12:00 noon. Following the luncheon, historical presentations and talks by members and friends will be featured. Bring a dish to share and join in the reunion as many former members and friends return for this celebration. German Baptist Brethren, as the Brethren were previously called, began to move into Milton and Canaan Townships early in the 1800’s with the first recorded arrival being the Peter and Sarah Blocher Hoff family who moved into Milton Township from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania in 1819. Early history of the Chippewa Congregation has been mostly obscured by lack of recording and loss of records. Preachers were shared across a large territory, and in the early days worship and Love Feasts were held in houses and barns of the members. Later centers of worship arose at Beech Grove (Canaan Township), Paradise (Smithville), Orrville, Mohican (West Salem) and Black River (Medina County.) The first meetinghouse at Beech Grove (now Chippewa) was built in 1868. The earliest surviving official minutes of the Chippewa Congregation date to May 29, 1877 when the congregation had grown large enough to officially divide into three congregations: Chippewa (Beech Grove), Wooster (Paradise) and Orrville. Later the Orrville location was discontinued and in 1890 a house of worship was built at East Chippewa. Submitted by Annette Shafer, Chippewa CoB 1819-2019